July 26, 2010

Average Joe Has a Bad Day

When my children were very young, my wife and I would always make a point to read to them at bedtime. There were several books that we loved to read, and after a few years of listening to bedtime stories, my children could quote the books by heart. For me, there were four books that I loved most. I really like Max Lucado's Just in Case You Ever Wonder...Shel Silverstein's The Giving Tree...and Robert Munsch's Love You Forever.

But lately a little boy named Alexander keeps coming to mind. Judith Viorst wrote a book entitled, Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Its a story of a little boy who encounters circumstances that are clearly worse than most children would ever encounter. Just when one happening is dealt with, another problem occurs. I enjoyed reading the book because it taught my children that no matter how bad things might get, somebody probably has it worse than you...namely Alexander.

Recently, I've felt Alexander's pain. Just when one problem seems solved, another bigger one appears out of thin air. When you deal with people who you actually love and care for as family (and who are messy to begin with) this becomes an even more tricky proposition. You wonder why people are the way they are, and act the way they act.

Today I thought of Alexander and the lesson he taught me and my children. It can always be worse. Better than that, my Lord has taught me that no matter how difficult the road may be, no matter the trials, no matter the temptations; I still have someone on my side who "gets it." With Jesus a good day is a great day, and a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Really Bad Day is still a great day because He'll endure it with me.

And today...right now...for me...that's enough!

No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. 1 Corinthians 10:13 - JD

No comments:

Post a Comment