August 2, 2010

The Song...

Someone once said, "you need a song, a scripture, and a paragraph from a book to sustain your ministry."

So I thought I would share my Song, scripture, and paragraph. The last post was my missional paragraph, today, the song...

This is difficult for me on a couple of levels. I'm not a singer. Really, I'm not! There are songs that we (yes we) sing at my home church that I like the words, they make me reflect, and on occasion cause me to become emotional or set me to thinking spiritual thoughts.

But the song that I think of repeatedly, when I think of songs that have shaped my ministry and calling, is one I've never heard sung at my home church. My missional song is a simple one that I used to hear my mother and grandmother sing in the kitchen while preparing meals together. It's called, "I Love to Tell the Story."

As with most "CofCs," the first and last verses are my favorites...
_________________________________

Verse 1:
I love to tell the story
of unseen things above,
of Jesus and his glory,
of Jesus and his love.
I love to tell the story,
because I know 'tis true;
it satisfies my longings
as nothing else can do.

Refrain:
I love to tell the story,
'twill be my theme in glory,
to tell the old, old story
of Jesus and his love.

Verse 4:
I love to tell the story,
for those who know it best
seem hungering and thirsting
to hear it like the rest.
And when, in scenes of glory,
I sing the new, new song,
'twill be the old, old story
that I have loved so long.

_________________________________

I know, I know, every preacher, and Christian, should love to tell the story. I guess I have heard so many guys preach sermons involving personal anecdotes, motivational philosophies, etc. (without even mentioning Jesus) that making this a focal point of my ministry is important to me.

Jesus said, "But I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to myself." (John 12:32). May we all see lifting Jesus up as our highest priority. May we all "love to tell the story." - JD

No comments:

Post a Comment